54 17'S 036 30'W. South Georgia, Southern Ocean.

Follow Matt Kenney during his deployment in South Georgia, working as a Boating Officer and Coxswain for the British Antarctic Survey.

Read Matt's posts with news, reviews and extracts from his Journals, and see photo and video posts to show you some of the work the Antarctic Survey are doing in the Southern Ocean, and also provide an insight into life on a British Antarctic research station.

Matt will also provide accounts of his work at sea and ashore on Humber Destroyer RHIBs and 11m twin jet drive Pilot vessels along side the team at the King Edward Point research facility.

Matt arrived in South Georgia on the 28th October 2010.

Friday 20 August 2010

Cradle to the slave

Well, my first post. Preparations for South Georgia are progressing well. The car (my faithful VW Polo) went this morning to an Aircraft Engineer from Somerset and in its place sits hard cash. I overlook the Queens gracious gait because in fact this is a new camera, laptop, clothing, sacks, macks, bits and bobs. Honestly, the thought of spending afew guilt-free pounds on stuff fills me with joy, and it is a shame I will be otherwise engaged at the Coastguard station tomorrow as the London Camera Exchange among others would have been emptied by a fayre-paying highwayman, intent on making their's his own, but smiling politely and even handing over the Nectar card. And not a penny on "the knock".

Last week I was invited by BAS to attend a dental examination, chest xray and kit out at the Cambridge offices. In the absence of my VW, I am borrowing my sister in laws Jeep Cherokee 4.0 "armoured personel carrier". It actually worked out cheaper to hire a small car and fuel it, than it would have been to put fuel in the Jeep. So hire I did. A Citroen C2. Enough said about that the better. The chest Xray and Detal inspection went well. It bought home to me how much nicer private health care is. I am a supporter of the NHS, but customer care is of such a higher quality, and the ques... well there wernt any. On the other hand, I may not be so slanted to private health if I was the one receiving the bill and the end of the day. The up-shot was, my teeth are good, but he wants me to floss 4 times a week. Possible more on flossing later...

There are lists upon lists of things Ive identified need doing, or sorting out between now and the 22nd.  My flats need sorting out, tenents secured, belongings packed away for storage, contracts to end, amend and send, things to buy, things to sell, things to swap, resignations to resign, more lists to create, etc etc etc etc etc.....

I will post a packing special edition shortly outlining what I intend to take.... But until then im out of the comfort zone and running just to stand still.....

1 comment:

  1. Hi there,

    Great first post now you have to keep it going which is the hard part! Look forward to working with you down south as the other KEP boatman!

    ReplyDelete

Please comment. I will be sure to reply to any questions you have!

Matt Kenney 2010.